Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Story... By Chris Asher















Hey, this is Chris Asher. Today, our group went to minister to the homeless. This morning, we got up at the atrocious hour of 5:30 AM.

The first ministry site we worked at was a place called Charlie's Place. Our group split into two smaller groups. One team worked in the kitchen preparing coffee and tea, garlic bread, esparagus, pasta and sausage. The other team, which I was in, went upstairs to carry out tubs of clothes and shoes from a closet to provide a kind of "store" for the "customers". Ten people who needed clothes were called up and told us three items they needed. My heart went out to them because, I knew some people did not have the most basic of needs, such as socks and shirts, some of which we did have
to give. We gave what we had to them with a greatful heart.

The next site we visited was Brethren Nutrition Program, run by two Germans, Stefan and Jonathan, both under 21 years of age. There, we helped serve the homeless and by giving them english muffins, tuna casserole, and red bean and chicken soup. I had had an allergy attack earlier that day and didn't want to sneeze on any of the people, so I stayed in the back washing dishes. They all expressed their gratitude with a simple "Thank you" when they received their lunch.

Then, at twelve or twelve-thirty, we headed over to set up for VBS. I'm sure you know what
happens there. On a side note, I have never really like VBS but, this week, God has put a special kind of love for these kids in my heart (which is not normally my MO).

Today, through working with these people, I shattered some previously conceived notions that all homeless people were grouchy and unthankful. From what I could see, they were quite the opposite of my "notions." They all were genuinely grateful for the meals they received.


*pictures are up at flickr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment